In the High Peaks
















Saturday, August 10, 2013

On to the Next Book: The Butterfly Sister or a Meatier Meal?

I'm finishing up The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison as I write. I think the last 27 pages will be powerful, but I will let you know. As of right now, it has been entertaining, with a smidgin more serious action relating to discussions about Adlerian psychology. That was a plus. Jodi, the protagonist, is a psychotherapist, after all. Her therapy with Gerald, years before the novel's action, is a minor subplot, but it's cleverly done. The main action dwells on Jodi, her estranged soon to be ex-husband Todd, and his impending nuptials to the young pregnant daughter (early-to-mid twenties) of one of Todd's and Jodi's friends. (Well, of course, Todd is going to be a father for the first time.) Actually, much of the novel presents two points of view--each chapter about Jodi is followed by a chapter about Todd and so on. The novel is set in Chicago but this is not, not a book that emphasizes setting. If you like Chicago, you will be disappointed. Would I have read it if I had known what I know today? Absolutely.



So for my next book I want more candy. I think this is because of the anxiety-producing chaos that descends upon my life each year in mid-August. On my Nook I have The Butterfly Sister by Amy Gail Hansen, which has just been published (August 6). I caved for the hype; excuse me, I fell for the blurbish synopsis and the reviews from PW, BooklistLibrary Journal, Kirkus. It's gothic, a mystery, and suspense, with lots of links to women writers of the past.

But in my other hand, I tell myself, I should have a book I promised myself I would read this summer. One of the big four: Bel Canto, The Sweet Tooth, Flight Behavior, and how could I have forgotten the fourth? Oh, well, I'll let you know where I stand.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, you must read Flight Behavior, quite a good read, excellent protagonist, Appalachian setting, discussion of global warming in a pleasant way concerning Monarch Butterflies.

    I don't know anyone who read it who didn't like it.

    I have had Bel Canto on my gigantic TBR list for three years since friends recommended it. Another friend also raved about it recently. So, I must read it this year!

    Just saw the Booker Prize nominees, lots of tempting books there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kathy--
      Yes, I must read Flight Behavior very soon. Thank you for the nudge on that title.

      Do let me know when you read Bel Canto and what you think of it!

      Delete
  2. I've missed they hype surrounding The Butterfly Sister, but The Silent Wife sounds interesting.

    Flight Behavior is very good, easily my favorite Kingsolver since Prodigal Summer. I should finish this afternoon...and will be facing that 'what to read next' decision, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn,
      I'm so glad that you've said that Flight Behavior is your favorite since Prodigal Summer, because the latter is my all-time favorite Kingsolver novel! I loved being swept away by The Poisonwood Bible as well.

      Delete