In the High Peaks
















Thursday, August 1, 2013

Final Note on The Greatcoat and The Successor to Gone Girl

The Greatcoat by Helen Dunmore did not disappoint--not one iota, not in any way. I find Dunmore to be extremely sensitive in her handling of characterization. A master! I am in awe of her development of Isabel's character and the way she unfolds or irons out the wrinkles of her past, along with the present-time, other-worldly events occurring in her life. I know that this is one book that I will return to again and again. Too bad I have a library copy at present! I would love to add my own to my bookshelf.

So I'm on to my next book. And wouldn't you know, I found a book that's been hyped with gushing blurbs written by none other than Elizabeth George, Kate Atkinson,  Anne Lamott, and Tess Gerritson. Some say it's much better than Gone Girl, which I'll admit was a mildly entertaining read, but it was nothing great and certainly not worthy of being nominated for a major award.

From my point of view, book marketing comparisons are the most odious things in publishing.
These comparisons insult both authors, but especially the author to whom the new author is being compared. What are your thoughts on this practice? But, watch me now(!), I was influenced by the esteemed authors' comments to download a copy of The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison onto my Nook. The purchase was only eight dollars and change, which helped push my finger onto the "Confirm" button. I want to consume it immediately.

I have just learned that A.S.A. Harrison died in April 2013 at the age of 65. How sad. At least Harrison knew before she died that her debut novel would be published.

No comments:

Post a Comment