In the High Peaks
















Tuesday, August 20, 2013

At Summer's End

Late summer is a beautiful time of year and I've always loved it. But just when I'd most like to savor the season, I must rush to finish what I've put off all summer. And on Friday, I take off for Boston to visit my mother and my brother. I'll be staying three nights in my favorite hotel, which I choose because the beds are so comfortable and perfect for READING. Think big, comfy beds that put you up in the clouds!

Although I lived on the outskirts of the city for most of my adult life before moving to the Adirondacks, I find that with each visit to the metropolis, I have more and more trouble tolerating the boom and bustle of city life. Translated, that means the suffocating, incessant traffic and noise. Ouch.

Which books will I bring to comfort me in the jungle?

For over a year I've wanted to read The Winter Palace: A Novel of Catherine the Great by the Polish-born Canadian, Eva Stachniak, which was published in 2011. The book received good reviews, and now that I finally have the novel in my house, I love that it's written in first person perspective. From my brief scan of the entire book, I can see it's laden with atmosphere and setting, with lots of drama throughout. Just the way I like it! I want to drop out of society and come back when I've finished it.

I'll bring my Nook and also try to finish The Husband's Secret. And, knowing me, I'll bring a couple of other titles along.

8 comments:

  1. It's always exciting to visit a city (mostly NYC for me these days), but the relief I feel upon returning to my quiet lakeside is always profound. Enjoy the time with family... your favorite hotel sounds lovely, as does the selection of books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, it is exciting. I've commissioned my brother to find an excellent Asian restaurant for dinner for the two of us because that's one regional cuisine that is all but absent here.

      And Ken and I both note that when we get over "the blue line" boundary of the Adirondacks, we heave a sigh of enormous relief.

      I hope the weather stays beautiful so you can continue to enjoy your lake!

      Judith

      Delete
  2. You're in my neck of the woods! Have a good time - sink into the pillows and enjoy your book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kate! I know I've definitely been enjoying myself because I'm so exhausted at the end of every day!

      Hope you're enjoying summer's end, too.
      Judith

      Delete
  3. Hope you have a great trip, Judith and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sarah--
      I'm having a great time and am managing to get done just about everything (both family business matters and fun stuff)that I'd hoped to. Tomorrow I conquer the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, then a visit with Mom.
      J.

      Delete
  4. Enjoy your visit to the city! I love staying in a hotel--it feels so luxurious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am a devotee of excellent hotels. It's interesting; the best ones are not necessarily the most expensive, I've found.

      Wishing you a fulfilling beginning to your school year!

      Judith

      Delete