In the High Peaks
















Wednesday, August 28, 2013

How do you listen to Audible books (or downloads) in your car? That's the question I'm dying to have answered today.

Ever since I started listening to an unabridged library audiobook of A Woman in Charge, a biography of Hillary Clinton by Carl Bernstein, published in 2007, I've been longing to listen to a copy that has not been scratched by other eager, careless library borrowers. Audible has the unabridged version, but how do you listen to Audible in the car? As fate would have it, the unabridged version is no longer available as a regular CD audiobook. Any editorial comments you have on this title are also welcome!

As you can see, I'm beginning to line up my fall traveling reads.

An abridged CD version is available, but I loathe abridged books! Publishers delete all the interesting parts, at least from my point of view.

Please share all of your audiobook habits (and secrets) with me!

6 comments:

  1. Audible books can be loaded onto an iPod and played in your speakers with one of those nifty cigarette lighter adapters. That's how I've done it during long trips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the idea, Dulcinea. Will this become my excuse for getting an iPod? Something tells me I'm headed out for some shopping!

      Judith

      Delete
  2. I don't listen to books--I find it too difficult to keep my attention focused on long reads--but I do listen to short story podcasts in my car via my iPod. I bought a cable that connects the iPod to the car radio at Radio Shack.

    I find my commute typically lasts the length of a short story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James,
      This sounds like a great idea! I really like that earphones are unnecessary with this method.
      I, too, enjoy podcasts.
      Thanks so much for the info.
      Wishing you a good beginning to the school year!
      Judith

      Delete
  3. Hi Judith. One option is the ipod but if you download itunes (the music app for ipods you don't even need to buy an ipod. From itunes, you can burn the audible to a CD via yur laptop. I've done it a few times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,
      I have read that what you have achieved is possible. I must try a little harder. Burning the CD to my laptop I've managed with songs; I just need to work a little harder and take the next step!

      Judith

      Delete