In the High Peaks
















Wednesday, August 14, 2013

I Have Succumbed...and an Investigation into The Book Depository

You may remember my aforementioned impulse, my wish to read another book like The Silent Wife. As it happens, there is another acclaimed page-turner, similar in subject matter, with excellent reviews from Kirkus, Publishers Weekly, Booklist, and Library Journal. (Yes, I studied them all.) I bought the book early this evening for my Nook, and it is The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty. This link will take you to Amazon.com for the simple reason that there is a brief blurb by Sara Nelson, former editor of Publishers Weekly, that gets to the heart of the matter of chick lit vs. this title. Good for you, Sara! Earlier this evening, I was able to get to full-text reviews of all the reviews mentioned, and now I can't find it. So I hope you, dear readers, have better luck!

Of course I would like to be more highbrow at the moment, but I am as weak as a chocaholic in a bon bon factory. I have started in on Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver, but as I've been warned, it's slow going at the beginning and I'm plodding a bit. But don't despair of me yet! I haven't given up on it and am still reading.

I'm disturbed and disheartened by recent changes at The Book Depository, which I'm assuming is a result of its purchase by "Bigfoot" Amazon, as I mentioned in my previous post. I want to investigate. I'm hitting one brick wall after another in my ability to order books available in the UK. I want to get to the bottom of it! So you will hear from me eventually on this matter.





5 comments:

  1. I recently read and reviewed this book and like you I needed some "fluff" to read. I hadn't picked the secret but once it was out I did wonder what his wife would do about it all. It was an interesting premise though like you say right up there with the chocolate bon bon s.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam,
      Thanks so much for dropping in!

      So interesting that this was also recently published in Australia!

      And yes, we all need that "fluff" now and again. The stuff can be refreshing and comforting despite the terrible things that happen to all the characters.

      Judith

      Delete
  2. Yes, stick with Flight Behavior. It takes about 50 pages or so to really get into the story beyond Dellarobia's introspection while hiking.

    Hmmm, The Book Depository is also disappointing to me. The books I want are never available. And, yet, Amazon, parent now to Book Depository, has the books, and they cost more than BD used to charge. And BD offers free shipping and no taxes, so it's a better deal -- or has been until recently.

    I'm having luck at Abe Books, also owned by Amazon, but I'm buying used books there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kathy,
      I'm sorry I missed your comment and to be late in posting a response, especially because this is a topic that concerns me.

      I'll check out Abe Books for used books! And, hey, does Amazon have to own everything in this world?ryone?

      Delete
  3. Apparently so! Amazon owner Jeff Bezos just purchased the Washington Post.

    I notice that one can buy everything at Amazon.com from power tools to wallets!

    ReplyDelete