In the High Peaks
















Friday, December 20, 2013

Truly Gothic! Susan Moody's A Final Reckoning

My Adirondack Life calendar has informed me that this year the days December 20-December 23 have approximately the same amount (lack) of daylight: just 8 hours and 51 minutes. Winter Solstice! If only I had the energy, I'd do a dance, drink some mead (champagne), and perform a few graceful leaps in front of the fireplace. Given that I gave my last exam yesterday and the week past has been hellish [why oh why am I totally exhausted?], I took a nap today, am cooking Coq au Vin at the moment while enjoying a glass or two of a California red wine blend.

I'm also reflecting on a wonderful new (!!) gothic novel. I am inhaling A Final Reckoning by Susan Moody, which is set in a very old "country mansion" in the Cotswolds. It's only by chance that I came upon it at the library, so it feels like it's heaven sent. If you like a good gothic change of pace every now and then, do look this one up. Some commenters on Goodreads were a bit negative, I'm surprised to find, although Booklist, Kirkus, and Publishers Weekly all gave positive reviews.



 

4 comments:

  1. This looks like the perfect winter book! I don't think I've seen anything about it until now..
    Enjoy your wine and coq au vin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly,
      I haven't far to go, and I will say I have thoroughly enjoyed Susan Moody! I'm going to look up more of her books, for sure.
      Judith

      Delete
  2. If it's gothic - then I might like it - the cover looks promising. happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely gothic! I love it so much, and now I'm so sorry I'm drawing near the end. As I mentioned to Kelly, I want to read more of Susan Moody. Do indeed get a hold of it if you're a gothic lover. Great crime stuff, too.
      Judith

      Delete