In the High Peaks
















Saturday, December 21, 2013

Christmas Links & How Many Books Left in 2013?

Christmas Book Discussions on Favorite Blogs!!
 Pam of Travellin' Penguin:  Pam is back home in Australia after her travels in North America!
 Ordinary Reader
 Lyn of I Prefer Reading  
 When I discover more blogger discussions of Christmas and New Year's books, I will post!

 As of this morning, Saturday the 21st, I began with a whim to see how many books I can finish before midnight on December 31st. I'm hoping Ken will join me on this last-minute, winter-solstice quest. He's currently in the middle of the Scottish crime novelist Ian Rankin's Standing in Another Man's Grave. Ken has read more books than I have this year, and I must pull together his list, if only to avoid picking up books in 2014 that he read this year. He really loved Robert Galbraith's The Cuckoo's Calling and is waiting for the next book in the series.

I spent part of the day galloping through the gothic I mentioned yesterday, A Final Reckoning by Susan Moody. Still luxuriating in it, and am well over half-way through. I will try more of Susan Moody's books. I'm setting my end-of year goal at reading two additional books before New Year's Day. One is a creative nonfiction piece of investigative journalism, Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery by Robert Kolker, which made many "Best of 2013" book lists and runs close to 400 pages. The other is fiction, but I can't recall the title or author at the moment! I will inform soon.

The weather is so dreadful. A bad storm, pouring rain for two days, temps up to 47 degrees after temps of below zero. Ridiculous.

4 comments:

  1. Judith, I don't know how many more books I can read this year, although I did start my holiday vacation today. I will be posting a review of a mystery set at Christmas soon, then I plan to finish the book I am reading and I hope I can fit in two more Christmas books (more mysteries). I am sorry about your weather, sounds really bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy,
      You sound just like me: high hopes for lots of reading in the coming final days of 2013. I'll be interested in all you'll be reading!!
      Weather-wise, we're headed back to the near-zero weather, which, believe it or not I prefer, because the hiking trails stay frozen and one can get around without trouble.
      Merry Christmas!
      Judith

      Delete
  2. That time of year for bad weather I guess. It's summer here and it's raining here and chilly. Weird weather of the world. Thanks for mentioning my little Travellin' Penguin and all the very best for Christmas and the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam,
      All the best to you for the New Year. I hope you're getting rested up after all your travel. Nothing like a few books to curl up with for curing exhaustion.
      Merry Christmas!
      Judith

      Delete