In the High Peaks
















Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Fall Books 2011?????

Have you happened to browse through the lists of new books for Fall 2011? I just studied Amazon and the Barnes & Noble websites, and I am appalled. I did not see a single new book that interested me. I have never been so turned off by new offerings. I keep hoping that perhaps books to be published later this fall will appear and make me feel more faith and trust in book publishing, but so far, I want to GAG. Sorry for the all caps, there. I cannot hold back the extremity of my reaction.

Fortunately plenty of older books are demanding to be read! That encourages me quite a bit after the depressing journey I just took through the websites.

Please surrender your opinions about Fall Books 2011. I'm all ears!

2 comments:

  1. Here are some good books, I think, to be published this Fall:
    The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson
    1Q84, by Haruki Murakami
    The Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England, by Ian Mortimer
    Parallel Stories, by Nadas
    CATHERINE THE GREAT, By Robert K. Massie
    The Prague Cemetery, by Umberto Eco

    Emma @ Words And Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am regularly amazed at all the apparent dross and extremely "niche" books that get published. I tend to read books based on reviews at blogs and on sites where I trust the writer, so I don't ever really look at all the new books that are out one season. I occasionally see a review in the Saturday Times that looks quite interesting, for example I just bought A S Byatt's latest, just out, a modern reworking of the Norse sagas told through the eyes of a teenage girl (in WW2 I think). Looks quite interesting, and short ;-)

    ReplyDelete