In the High Peaks
















Thursday, September 9, 2010

The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes

I said yesterday that I'd post an entry today, but we all need to have low expectations. I'm still incredibly unsettled. But I'm working on it.

After teaching yesterday, I made my way to Crandall Library, my favorite library, in the city of Glens Falls not far from my college. On the "Returns" shelf, I found Volume II of a 3-volume set I want in my home, in the near future, on a permanent basis.


I covet The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, published in 2005 and 2007 by W.W. Norton. Norton is a top-notch publisher of literary gems, so I know the set and the annotations will be excellent. The price is on the back of the dustjacket--$75.00. Is that for just one volume of the set? Hmmm... I will check that out as I set out to acquire both volumes. Anyway, I want to curl up with The Return of Sherlock Holmes and forget everything.

Just checked Amazon. The price for Volume II is $29.16. Buying one volume at a time seems a wise plan.

It's funny, at our local library book sale this summer, the 1967 annotated editions of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Hound of the Baskervilles, and a few other choice Holmes titles came up for sale. I marked them way up, and they sold! But, glancing through them, they seemed so outdated to me, the illustrations tawdry, and not anything I'd want to spend money on. So I'm very, very keen on acquiring this 2005 set!

Any Doyle fanciers out there? Hey, this volume could also count as part of my Scottish Literature Challenge!

Katrina, I'm wondering what your Arthur Conan Doyle collection is like...

2 comments:

  1. Judith,
    It's absolutely non-existant! Am I missing something? I tried one Conan Doyle when I was at school but it was one of the very few books which I've given up on, can't even remember what it was. Grandad wasn't into him either.
    I'm willing to give him another go.
    How about writing a post on your favourite, or the best one to start with.
    Katrina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd recommend starting with Hound of the Baskervilles, or a story from The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. The latter is less of a commitment.

    I must preface my ardor for Holmes stories based on my 12-year-old interests. First, I took for granted that they weren't like any children's books I'd read. No real characterization. No real relationship development.

    But, in their place, an intriguing puzzle (which you can't possibly figure out for yourself) that unravels in a gathering of mini-clues and Holmes's quirky mind.

    I think I like to return to Holmes on occasions because the stories are not like anything else I've ever read. Today, regarding them, I almost consider them "quaint," yet chock-full of intricate detail about late Victorian life!!! Maybe, that's a huge part of my fascination.

    ReplyDelete