In the High Peaks
















Sunday, November 3, 2013

Your First Invitation to My December Open House

If you would like to sign up, please leave a comment. Thank you!

Well, now that you know you're all invited, you're no doubt wondering what exactly is this December Open House at Reader in the Wilderness? (I'm announcing the event early so that you can be brainstorming, thinking, planning!)

Do you enjoy reading books with a holiday theme in December? Or, are you enchanted by novels and stories that are merely set in the month of December, during the darkest time of the year?



If so, would you be willing to share at least one of your all-time favorites with us?

This is going to be a month-long party! That's right: This event begins on December 1 and ends on December 31. (Just in case you have a book or story with a special New Year's focus.)

All it takes to participate is at least one blog post discussing your thoughts, personal experiences with, or whatever else you want to say on a book or story that's posted on your blog and that's focused on one or more of the following:
  • A favorite Christmas or Hanukkah novel or short story that you are especially fond of
  • A novel or short story that's set in the month of December or at New Year's
  • A favorite children's Christmas or Hanukkah novel or picture book
  • A special December or December-holiday chapter in a novel
  • A special nonfiction book that's December-holiday related
What's the point of all this? To share and learn more about this special genre of literature and to enhance our appreciation of this special time of year.

All books and stories, all nonfiction and fiction are welcome. Don't forget cookbooks, 19th century literature, and works in translation. And remember those children's books and stories. High-brow, low-brow, every title is welcome!

I need a button for this. I've never done a button. Research needed there. Stay tuned.

I'll investigate Mr. Linky, but I'm pretty clueless at the moment. I'll present more information on how to communicate your blog entry in a few weeks.

12 comments:

  1. I would definitely be in on this. I have a couple of great Christmas things. I might even do an Aussie one and show you Christmas in summer. It will be in the last half of Dec as I'm travelling and not home until mid Dec but plenty of time there. Should be fun. A lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Pam-- I'll look forward to your contributions. And, an Aussie Christmas book would provide just the variety we'll need! Happy traveling in early December!

      Judith

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. JoAnn,
      I think it will be lots of fun. I want to give participants lots of options, so no matter how much or how little time people have, everyone can join in.
      Judith

      Delete
  3. I will be there. I have been planning all year to read some Christmas themed books and I wanted to go through some of my Christmas themed children's books too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tracy,
      I'm so glad you're interested! I have loads of Christmas-themed books for adults and children, and I'm looking forward to sharing them. Looking forward!
      Judith

      Delete
  4. I'm up for this too. I always read some Christmas books in December to get me in the mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katrina--wonderful! I'd love to know some of the Christmas-related books you know and cherish, and maybe a new one or two.

      Can't wait!
      Judith

      Delete
  5. will love to join in Judith ,all the best stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stu,
      I'm so delighted you'll be joining us! I'm really excited about this event.
      Judith

      Delete
  6. Count me in! I have a short story I love lined up and it's nothing to do with crime…..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Sarah, I'm so glad you want to participate. A short story sounds lovely, whether it is crime or not! In my Christmas book collection I have a wonderful volume Murder at Christmas. I think it was published in the 1990s, and it has lots of fun stories collected, mostly U.S. titles.
      Best,
      Judith

      Delete