In the High Peaks
















Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Paul Auster & Sunset Park


I dug into Sunset Park this morning and am more than a third of the way through. I LOVE IT! How many times have I become immersed in a Paul Auster novel and am suddenly deluged with what I call "my crazy writer fantasies" when I am consumed by the yearning to write a novel like Paul Auster. His prose is so straightforward, seemingly so uncomplex, yet beautiful and profound, and then he slips into voicing a truism that hits me so hard, all because it's a truth I have acknowledged to myself and no one else. No one else knows that I've thought this way, but there goes an Auster character saying it. It makes for a powerful reading experience.

I bought Sunset Park when it came out in November 2010, and it surprises me I haven't read it until now.

I dug up a wonderful interview with Auster about Sunset Park. I chose it above all the other interviews I dug up because Auster seems to be loving answering the questions in this one. I was quite charmed by it. Do take a look if you are an Auster fan.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for that Judith, it seems to me that Paul Auster must have got on well with the interviewer. I had a look back to remind myself what I wote about Sunset Park, although I knew I enjoyed it. As ever I compared it with Brooklyn Follies - which is still my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katrina,
      At least in this interview Auster was asked some original, thought-provoking questions--none of the cookie-cutter type.

      I'm continuing to enjoy Sunset Park, but Oracle Night will probably always be my favorite Auster novel.

      Judith

      Delete
  2. I recently got his film smoke he did with wayne wang ,not read this or his last book I didn't like man in dark too much so haven't read his last to but I m sure I will as I loved his earlier books ,all the best stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any of his films, so I will definitely seek out Smoke. Thanks for the mention!

      Judith

      Delete