In the High Peaks
















Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Waiting for Henning Mankell's An Event in Autumn (Aug 12 US release)

I haven't read any of Henning Mankell's Kurt Wallander novels in at least three years, I believe, but An Event in Autumn grabbed me because Wallander retreats to the countryside to get away from all his stressors to take a big time-out by residing in an old farmhouse with a marvelous garden, where he (naturally) discovers parts of a dead body, and off we go on another wonderful adventure.
I love characters who decide to "hermitize" for a while in the rural hinterlands because I so completely identify with that wish and have never wavered from this pursuit.

Just a week until publication in the slow-to-publish U.S.! I realize from my internet browsing that it will be a BBC production this fall somewhere. Have you read the book or seen the BBC production?

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see the BBC production, didn't know about it.

    I haven't heard of this book, but identify with the need to hermitize and destress. I do this in my apartment in the middle of New York City, turn on the a/c, the TV and get out my books and snacks. However, I could love to be in a rural area with a garden, a lake and beautiful trees.

    I have geraniums in a window box, which I love.

    Look forward to reading your review.

    ReplyDelete