In the High Peaks
















Saturday, July 23, 2022

The Serpent Pool--The 4th Lake District Mystery

 I have absolutely loved reading Martin Edwards's Lake District Mysteries! My favorite series at the moment. Okay, okay, I'll admit it--I'm somewhat besotted with Daniel Kind, the former Oxford don (history) who after a few years as a "telly" historian escapes to the Lake District to catch a breath and dig into writing. He keeps making the acquaintance of Hannah Scarlet, a DCI with the local Cumbria Constabulary, and, as fate would have it, Daniel contributes evidence for a number of murders Hannah is trying to solve. Over the first three books, they recognize that they "light each other up," despite each of their involvements with another partner. In Book 4, The Serpent Pool, another incredibly well-done multiple-murder case is solved with both of them contributing, and they draw ever closer.   

This was my 11th book for the 20 Books of Summer. And I can't wait until I can read Book 5 in the series. I am not a mystery series fan by nature, aside from Maisie Dobbs, so I do heartily recommend the Lake District Mystery Series. The first in the series is The Coffin Trail, and I loved it. 

Nearing the end of In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden. Have enjoyed it and learned quite a lot. 

7 comments:

  1. Martin Edwards has written many books, I've read a few of his British mysteries but not this series. Glad you enjoy it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of the best series I've read--four books in, all winners. A great setting, deep characters, can't wait to read more.

      Delete
  2. I have only read the first book in this series, but I have the second one on my shelves. I do that too much, getting started with a series and then not getting back to it.

    I have also read the first in the Harry Devlin series, all the lonely people, and have more of those to read.

    I am glad you are enjoying this series, maybe it will help motivate me to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy,
      I, too, have that problem. But I enjoy sampling series to try them out. For me at least, if I don't continue with a series, and I feel more like reading other books, it sort of tells me to go where my interests lead me. Sometimes I do return to a series. Elizabeth George's Lynley series is one I dive into again and again, sometimes going for years without reading one.

      Delete
    2. I don't know why my reply to you came through as being from "Anonymous." So weird.

      Delete
  3. I've put The Coffin Trail on hold at the lib. I used to like Elizabeth George but when she killed off Lady Helen I got mad and stopped reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was such a shocker! I'll never forget the moment when I read that. And the next book in the series, Careless in Red, I felt didn't deal with the aftermath well. I did read her most recent Lynley title, Something to Hide, and thought it was excellent.

      Delete