In the High Peaks
















Friday, August 21, 2020

Bookshelf Travelling Is Still Going, But Has Moved

Please note that Katrina of Pining for the West has offered to continue to lead "Bookshelf Travelling for Insane Times." Katrina has also mentioned that her husband Jack will also be continuing the meme on his blog A Son of the Rock. I hope to continue, too, when I can, and if you're able and willing, do please continue.

As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I've been very busy this month of August with two writing classes. They have both been wonderful during this time. I have enjoyed the camaraderie of other writers striving to put their words to the page, as well as the instructors, both of whom have been top-notch. I needed something intellectually strenuous this month, as both classes have proven to be. I think it's been good for my lazy brain!

I am still reading. I am loving listening to Elin Hilderbrand's novel The Perfect Couple, which, unlike its title, is actually an incredibly complex murder mystery, set on the island of Nantucket. It is so absorbing, so accomplished. Naturally, I knit like crazy while I listen, and I'm enthralled, absolutely. This has to be among Hilderbrand's best novels, I believe. If you were to read just one of her oeuvre, I would choose this one. Swept away, I am! And so happily. It is such a gift, really, to feel happy reading or listening to a book when there is so much angst threatening to submerge us. This book has lifted me up! Maybe I should write to Hilderbrand to tell her so.

9 comments:

  1. The Perfect Couple was one of my favorite Hilderbrand books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane,
      I'm so delighted that this is one of your favorites of Hilderbrand's as well. It's a long book, compared to most of her titles, but I don't mind at all because I think her handling of plot, pacing, character, dialogue, is nothing less than masterful. Oh, gosh, I'll be so woebegone when I finish it!

      Delete
  2. You should definitely write to Hildebrand. I always meant to write to Mary Stewart, I wanted to ask her about a particular detail in one of her Merlin books and never did get around to it - then she died!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katrina,
      You know I've never written to any writer, that I recall anyway. I would like to let Hilderbrand know. Who knows? It might inspire her to write more. Hilderbrand is younger than you or I, and she suffered a bout of breast cancer about five years ago or a bit more. I'm not sure, but after that time, her writing took on a new depth. She still writes novels that are pot-boilers, but lots have that extra depth. (She writes a lot.) And it's so curious to me. She's a graduate of the University of Iowa Workshop, which is one of the top, if not the top writing program in the country. I always thought--how did she manage this--writing potboilers? Very, very good potboilers, mind you!

      Delete
  3. I must get around to another Insane post, I kind of lost my momentum when Peter went into hospital and then the saga of the new interface put me off blogging for several weeks and I'm still not fully happy with it.

    Pleased to hear you've been busy with your writing class, we need that kind of outlet in these strange times. Watching your election stuff with a great deal of interest, wish there was more about it on our news. I've been busy with the garden, we have a good tomato, raspberry and corn crop but it's much cooler now with autumn approaching so things are slowing down a little. Less picking required. :-)

    Take care. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cath!
      We, too, had an incredible wild raspberry crop this year. Quite amazing, really. Ken and the dog would go out to forage and came home much satisfied. All gone by the first week of August. So, is it much cooler there?
      Fortunately, August has been a cooler month for us, though still quite summery. The wild blackberry crop is about to ripen. Ken and Sandy are ready to attack! They will be competing with the bears, the coyotes, and the foxes.
      Ooohh...our election stuff. I try to listen to as little of it as I can because it makes me positively crazy. And we don't need more crazy people in this world, do we?
      The writing classes have been great, and after my second one finishes on September 2nd, I'm due to begin another on Sept. 7th.
      I really like the discipline of deadlines to push me to churn out essays--all mostly related to nature and our life in the Adirondacks.
      Take extra good care of yourselves, now.

      Delete
  4. The Perfect Couple is one of my favorite Hilderbrand novels, too. Glad you are enjoying it, Judith. I'm also happy to hear your writing classes are a success. Sounds like you're having a good summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, JoAnn, I'm so glad that you loved The Perfect Couple, too. How nice to know. The audio has been excellent. I will be finishing it tomorrow or Tuesday. Sigh.
      I have had a great summer, due to our continued clearing and maintenance of our hiking trails, and my writing classes. I do wish I had had my pool club, but such was not to be. Have managed well and am looking forward to the beauty of our fall.

      Delete
  5. Judith, I am so sorry I missed this post. I have been having problems focusing lately, and when I do it is usually on gardening. I am getting a lot done there. I am glad your reading is going well and your writing classes also. Good to hear that Katrina is taking over the Bookshelf Traveling meme, I think it is a good one.

    ReplyDelete