In the High Peaks
















Friday, May 8, 2020

Fri. Bookshelf Traveling in Insane Times #8: Part I

Early this afternoon, after a long walk with Sandy, I gravitated toward the two statuesque oak bookcases in the living room. Both are very difficult to access at this point, because the books I've culled for library book sales have ended up in boxes and piles in front of these bookcases. Now this sounds messy, and it is, but the book clutter on the floor doesn't bother anyone (except for me today) because they're behind our couches and sitting area, out of sight. Only the top four shelves are visible from the living area and they lend a comforting air to our evening space.

And then I wonder: When on earth will we be able to safely congregate elbow-to-elbow and cheek-to-jowl at these library book sales once again? Maybe these money-makers for libraries will have to be totally re-configured. But I do fervently hope they don't disappear.

Ken's huge James Michener collection takes up an entire shelf. James Michener has been and will always be Ken's favorite author. Every Christmas, birthday, and Father's Day, I tried to contribute another title to his collection, and he read them all, and lots of them twice.
My Kennedy Family collection, as I mentioned last week, the subject of a future post or two, has its dedicated extensive shelf, and another shelf houses treasured classics from my childhood.
But there's so much more.

The eminent American historian Barbara Tuchman's A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century is now gathering dust. Published in 1978, I bought it in a paperback edition in 1979. Yet I never read it, despite my fascination with the subject.  And, as I leaf through it tonight, I can recall that it was entirely due to its unfortunate formatting. Its tiniest, most minuscule type is bad enough, but with next to no leading between the lines, it made for an impossible read. My reading eyesight in my thirties was impeccable because being near-sighted I had an aptitude for conquering tiny print. But I don't know how anyone could have conquered that edition.
It was a stupendous work, a best-selling history, winner of prizes, and I now wonder if I could somehow or other find a readable copy? Will investigate!

For some reason or other it took me so long to write just this little bit, so I will add more tomorrow!






14 comments:

  1. Here is my entry for this week:

    http://perfectretort.blogspot.com/2020/05/fridays-bookshelf-traveling.html

    Of course, the problem with writing about a beloved book one hasn't looked at recently is that you take it down to check one thing and then you are still reading 24 hours later! Oh well, who wanted to clean or do laundry anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No cleaning for me! I do it only when it is absolutely necessary AND when I am in the mood.
      I find, like you, that my bookshelf travels lead me to examine and READ all the books on a shelf, and for the books I've read already, the process leads me on a voyage into the past.

      Delete
  2. I have wondered the same thing about those types of sales, Judith. And I have stacks of books for donations in my living room. Re Michener, we just ordered a copy of Tales of the South Pacific today. It is a favorite of my husband and I want to read it too. I have been interested in some book by Tuchman, but cannot remember the title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy,
      How interesting about Tales of the South Pacific! Ken has read it twice.
      Tuchman's most well-known history was The Guns of August, about all the forces in Europe in the late 19th and early 20th century that made WWI inevitable.
      Wishing you and your family well!

      Delete
  3. My mother-in-law was a huge James Michener fan and was always recommending his books to me. I never did get around to any but I must at some stage as I really fancy Alaska and Chesapeake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cath,
      Ken's Michener favorite is Chesapeake. And yes, I agree that Alaska sounds fascinating, as does his epic about the lands that made up Palestine and Israel from prehistoric times to the present. His novel Poland also intrigues me, but so many books, so little time!

      Delete
  4. Oh dear, I hadn't even thought about the library used books sales yet! Our world is surely changing...

    As always, I enjoy these posts. Thanks, Judith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JoAnn,
      As a number of noted people have emphasized, our world and our society will not go back to exactly the way it was before this pandemic. But the thing is, we don't have a clue what the future will look like. And no one, not anyone does.

      Delete
  5. Our library (still closed since Mid-March) has an ongoing book sale that gets added to every few days. They always had an annual May sale as well but, I suspect that might be a thing of the past. Honestly, I stopped going to those huge library sales a few years ago after getting stomped on and elbowed by crazed book sellers. (The pleasure reader doesn't stand a chance with these vultures and their barcode scanners) - took all the fun away for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane,
      I know exactly what you mean about those library book sale vultures! The sad thing, I thought, was that the library book sale was once a fun community experience, and also for book lovers from neighboring towns.
      Our town library set aside Friday night for locals by making the pre-book sale event into a total party and fund-raiser with a $15 admission fee for the otherwise free wine and appetizers. This keeps (or has kept) the vultures out for the first night of the sale. It's so sad to think we won't be doing that this year, or who knows when?

      Delete
  6. We have the same edition of the Barbara Tuchman book. Jack read it when he was much younger, but I couldn't manage it. Such a shame as I'd love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we both need a hardcover copy, as it was originally published. If we ever get our libraries back, I'll try to get a hold of a copy. How interesting you had the same issue!

      Delete
  7. Looking through old books can be a neat thing to do. I find that it brings back memories.

    James Michener wrote a lot of books so I can see how his titles would be good for ongoing gift ideas. It has been a long time since I have read him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read much of Michener at all. I think I should select at least one, just for the experience. Did you like what you read of his?

      Delete