In the High Peaks
















Tuesday, January 8, 2019

So Glad to Have Found a Chunkster Challenge!

This year of all years, I have realized I could use the support of  a Chunkster Challenge.  And I'm fortunate to have found one early in January. If you happen to know that you are reading a number or a lot of long classics and more recent tomes in 2019, you may be interested to know that you can join the chunkster challenge at Becky's Book Reviews. Becky is really into book challenges, so you may be interested in her Georgian Book Challenge or her Victorian Book Challenge or her other interesting challenges. I'm  happy I was referred to her blog by Cleo's Classic Carousel.

So far in 2019, I have finished reading my "Back to the Classics Challenge" play, The Years Between, by Daphne du Maurier (1944-45). Now I need to write the review. I've written up my thoughts in a journal for the books I will read this year ( a new resolution for me!), but my thoughts vs. a review are totally different. My personal thoughts about the book as I've recorded  would be reviled for revealing too much about the book in a blogging world where voices are squashed by the dread of revealing  "spoilers." But how on earth can you discuss the most important points  about what you have read if you have to clamp your hand over your mouth to avoid saying anything at all about a book?. 

Yes, this is a pet peeve of mine. And it's one I eventually mean to do something about. Does The New York Times Book Review or The Guardian care if they drop some hints about the plot and characters and themes of a book? Of course not! Revealing this information does not STOP a reader--rather, it makes them more certain that they desire to  try a book. Of course it would never do to reveal pivotal plot-turning points, but really, when does it get to the point where we're saying nothing about a book other than we liked it or didn't??

4 comments:

  1. I've done the chunkster challenge several times in Days of Yore. It's a fun one.

    You're right about revealing plots points in reviews, I live in fear of it as people can be quite abrupt if they think you've overstepped the line. But how can you discuss books if you don't say enough about them? What are book blogs for if not to encourage discussion? I'm not sure a lot of that now happens because of fear of spoilers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Cath, you are so on the mark--my feelings exactly. I think you expressed it better than I did.
      I wish that there were a way to engage readers in book discussion, especially among those who have read a particular book. Why not? I've got to think about this one. If you have any ideas, do let me know. I love your phrase, "because of the fear of spoilers." Thanks for your thoughts.

      Delete
  2. I know that my thoughts on books can be very sketchy and if I see a massive book blogpost I often just skim it if I know it's a book that I want to read soon. It is difficult to hit a happy medium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katrina,
      I see your point about that. I know I'm apt to do that sometimes, if I haven't read the book, but other times I'm interested in reading a longer post about a book before reading it. I think it's also how the review is written. It's possible to give background without revealing pivotal character development or plot details. Yes, it's tricky.

      Delete