In the High Peaks
















Sunday, July 12, 2015

Some Good Books in 2015: Part I

Currently enjoying The Seven Sisters by Margaret Drabble. I'm almost positive that JoAnn at Lakeside Musing blogged about this book in the past 2-5 months or so. It's been on my mind ever since. I'm more than halfway through...  I do get a kick out of Drabble, always have. This one is no exception! Recommended.

Some exceptionally good books have tracked me down this year. I have had very little time to browse in libraries or shop or cruise online, but I've managed to find some greats.

The best book of 2015 so far for me has been: Black House, the first book of The Lewis Trilogy by Peter May. (It's in my 2015 blogroll.) This book was much more than mere "crime fiction." The Isle of Lewis is its own character. And the pinnacles of rocks, in the middle of the ocean, to the northwest, where men and special older boys go for a bird hunt annually, is portrayed so realistically, so unfathomably well, that I don't need to visit the Hebrides, or the Isle of Lewis. I was so immersed. The plot was unstoppable, twisting and turning and developing, I was in awe. The characters were portrayed with a keen, psychologically astute insight. You'll notice I've awarded it 5 stars. Very, very impressive. Have you read anything by Peter May?

7 comments:

  1. I haven't read anything by Peter May but you've convinced me to give him a go. Mind you I haven't read anything by Drabble either. I'm glad to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd enjoy both authors. Peter May was born in Glasgow and spent much of his life in Scotland, though in his later years (age 63 now), he lives in France--all this vs. Wikipedia.
      I think you'd enjoy Margaret Drabble, most definitely. I think the media is nasty with stories of a feud between Drabble and her older sister. Such a distraction for the reader from their work. I haven't read a Drabble I didn't like, and I think I've read at least 3 and most likely 4.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I blogged about The Seven Sisters... but I still haven't finished the book. I keep getting distracted by other titles. Glad you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know only too well what that's like! I'm nearing the end of The Seven Sisters--surprising! Drabble is wonderfully quirky. Have always liked that about her.

      Delete
  3. Glad you liked Black House so much. I have had that book for over two years and still haven't read it. But I look forward to fitting it in soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Read May's Entry Island. Although I found the contemporary story to be rather contrived, the backstory reaching back into the 1850s on the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides, explaining the landlords' inhumane land clearances and shipping off poor people to Canada and other lands, was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read and enjoyed the Peter May book as well, and I liked the second just as much (haven't yet made it through the third, but I will - so good).

    And Drabble is wonderful, I agree. This is one that I read in a single day over a winter holiday some years ago, and it remains a particular favourite, but I enjoy them all, to varying degrees.

    Looking forward to hearing about more of your favourites, as I expect I might be adding to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete