In the High Peaks
















Friday, March 11, 2011

A Book to Sink My Historian's Teeth Into

Readers, you may not be aware of this, but I adore dense, thick historical nonfiction written by extraordinary historians who exquisitely footnote their work AND include long, long bibliographies. Well, of course, these books have to be related to my most intense areas of interest.

So, from Amazon, came such a tome of highly qualified merit. I read whatever I can about the immediate postwar history of Europe. (World War II postwar-meaning, 1945-1948). I am fascinated by this period--the massive suffering, the prodigious dislocation of people, the millions of refugees--all searching for a HOME, all searching for a FAMILY. I am well beyond fascinated by this time period--I am rivetted.

The tome I'm speaking of, which I started reading today, is The Long Road Home: The Aftermath of the Second World War by the British historian Ben Shephard (Knopf, 2011). Oh, how I love it when a historian is painstaking with details and facts!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment