In the High Peaks
















Saturday, June 4, 2011

We're finally having some decent seasonable, sunny weather, though it's been very windy. I've been walking, birdwatching, bicycling, and tomorrow I have my first actual horseback riding lesson. I'm a bit nervous, but my teacher called to say my horse "Cruiser" is a champ.

After researching the leftist terrorist movement in Germany in the late 60s and 70s, I finally tackled the last half of The Weekend by Bernhard Schlink. I kept researching and reading, then got hold of the Der Spiegel review to see what a German critic thought of the novel. I'm still so surprised that it was published here in the U.S., because it is essential to understand the dynamics of postwar German history and culture, from 1945--9/11 to really grasp the plot and what Schlink is trying to say. A very cerebral book, but very interesting.

And, yes, I'm still reading and loving Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese. I'm two-thirds of the way through now, and I would be further along if it were not for the French Open tennis championships.

For my next read I'm longing for some mystery or detective fiction. Maybe it's time I closed in on finishing Stieg Larsson's series by reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

1 comment:

  1. You've been busy! I had imagined you 'riding the range' all this time. I've never been on a horse, I think it would be quite scary, it's a long way down.I hope you enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete