In the High Peaks
















Thursday, June 16, 2011

Alas, My Nook is Lost!

My Nook is a casualty of our trip to Massachusetts. Evidently I left it behind within the covers of our hotel room's bed, no doubt due to my haste to leave Tuesday morning to pick up our new dog, Sasha. I called the hotel, of course, but no one has turned it in. Fortunately Barnes & Noble has put a block on my Nook for me, so no one can charge new books and magazines to my credit card. Phew!

Unfortunately, I love reading books and magazines on the Nook. The illuminated screen makes it possible for me to see more clearly and read faster, during the day and especially at night. That has been the biggest benefit for me and one that was totally unexpected. I also appreciate the way I can download books instantly--no waiting time. Sigh. Yes, I will buy another NookColor eventually.


In addition to the Icelandic mystery, My Soul to Take by Yrsa Sigurdardottir (see my previous post), I've started reading the American novel What is Left the Daughter(scroll to the bottom of the link) by Howard Norman, which is set in northern Nova Scotia in World War II. A German U-boat's sinking of the Newfoundland ferry Caribou jeopardizes the fate of a German/Danish student, who is suspected of being involved in the tragedy. Two of Norman's novels have been nominated for the National Book Award, The Bird Artist and Northern Lights.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! How awful to think that one of the housekeepers may have stolen it.. I just bought What is Left the Daughter yesterday and I can't wait to start reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the Nook--I carry mine with me in my purse though to be honest I still tend to reach more often for my paper books. Still I have loads of great books loaded on to it and would hate to lose it. Did you like the Norman book? I saw it when it first came out and though it looked interesting--need to add it to my list again.

    ReplyDelete