In the High Peaks
















Saturday, June 11, 2011

I Hope Sasha Likes to Read

Welcome, Sasha! We are picking up our new golden retriever on Tuesday morning in south-central Massachusetts, which was the birthplace of Sophie, our previous golden. Sasha has been much anticipated in this household, to say the least. I went shopping for her today. I bought a beautiful, sturdy 6-foot leash to complement her reddish coat, a bag of her current brand of dog food, and a cushy and comfy pad for the crate. (Sasha has slept in a crate for all of her 2+ years, so we won't encourage her to sleep in a bed with humans until she really settles in and let's us know she's ready).

I hope she likes to cuddle, play, hike, swim, snowshoe, and enjoy time in the kitchen when I'm cooking. I like having a cooking partner. And a reading pal! The breeder told us she's "sweet, beautiful, and extremely laid back," so I hope she likes couchie as well as active pursuits.

Today was a very cool (in the 50s), rainy day from start to finish. I nearly devoured the whole of In a Bleak Midwinter by Julia Spencer-Fleming, but I still haven't finished it, though I'm enjoying it tremendously. There's nothing like a mystery with fully developed characters.


I have another mystery on tap, to intersperse with my German Postwar Literary Challenge novels and memoirs. It's My Soul to Take: A Novel of Iceland by Yrsa Sigurdardottir translated by Bernard Scudder and Anna Yates. In 2010, I read Jar City by Arnaldur Indridason, the first novel in this author's detective series set in Reykjavik. I'd like to read another.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new addition! Hope she loves to do all the things that you love to do! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the new member of your family-she sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan and Lisa,
    Thank you for your good wishes! We're crazy with excitement and have spent the day preparing the house for our new family member.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Sasha is a very lucky dog. I'm sure she'll be part of your family in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katrina,
    Sasha is settling in (we've been home less than three hours). She's adjusting, slowly, as any dog person might expect from a dog that's spent more than two years happily in another place. She loves sniffing the Adirondack air. It mystifies her, I can tell.

    Sasha is as sweet as can be, just not comfortable yet.

    Thanks for the good wishes!

    Judith

    ReplyDelete