In the High Peaks
















Thursday, May 30, 2024

Turned the House Upside Down--Searching for a Crucial Book

 I know, and probably you all know, that I have dozens and dozens more books than I have room for in bookcases (numerous bookcases in multiple rooms!!) and bookshelves, on tables and other book-holding fixtures. And then! The book piles!!  Under beds, next to beds, on night tables, you name it. Whew.

Because I am listening to An Unfinished Love Story, the new memoir by Doris Kearns Goodwin, and have now completed the Kennedy years in this memoir as experienced by Doris's amazing husband, Richard Goodwin, who served in the Kennedy administration, my historical mind is only naturally turning KENNEDY

How WELL I remember those years, with such clarity. But how can that be so, given that I was age 7 during JFK's campaign for president, age 7 at the time of the debates, at the time of the election, and after. This is a very, very long personal story, and is such because I lived right outside of Boston, because I was Catholic, and my father was Irish, and because our entire household was ABUZZ with the DRAMA of KENNEDY for president. 


 

So this may explain why, after listening to the Kennedy years as narrated by Doris Kearns Goodwin, I tore through the house searching for the bio/history I purchased a decade ago, Brothers: The Hidden History of the Kennedy Years by David Talbot, which is about the actions and relationship of JFK and RFK in that era. I bought the book, placed it on my Kennedy shelf, which is extensive, and THEN a number of years ago, removed it, started reading it to great interest, and PUT IT who knows where? because I was diverted by life and other reads.

Do you think that I could find this book that I am so desperate to read in my house? The search laid bare the absolute total disarray of my books and bookshelves. It's a disaster!  How can my Library have reached this state?? Books shoved under beds! Tumbling down in piles!

So--today--I did the easiest thing and I borrowed this very book from Crandall Library in Glens Falls. I'm so blessed that they have a copy, because they are the only library in the system that has it. 

But a Summer Mission has Begun! It's time to Play Library. Organizing all books. Of course, dispersing books to find new homes. Onward! My mission--

 

 



8 comments:

  1. Your mission is a commendable one. Oh books can get everywhere. This Brothers book must have made a good impression on you long ago. I'm excited to get the Doris Kearns Goodwin book. I think I will save it for fall reading since I forgot about it for my summer list. Still it seems like it has a lot to offer since Doris had an inside advantage to the history of those times. I'm glad you shared your story as well during those Kennedy years. I once taught tennis in the mid-'80s at a tennis camp in Milton, Mass. It might have been at the Academy and I was reminded of the Kennedys there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll love An Unfinished Love Story. So many first-person details about the era that can't be found anywhere else.
      I used to live in Milton! My husband and I lived there for 3 years when we were first married, and then we moved to Canton (Ponkapoag.) And yes, that's right, I remember now, RFK went to Milton Academy, didn't he?

      Delete
    2. Yes. I had to do a bit of googling but I believe three Kennedy brothers went to Milton Academy. It's nice you lived in Milton too ...

      Delete
    3. Yes-- RFK, his son Joseph Kennedy (our former congressman when we lived in Massachusetts, and ?? who? I'm assuming another of RFK's sons. Had to be, I think, but I don't know which one. A bit of trivia to look up! Thanks!
      JFK went to Choate, which is the school my older brother attended during the Kennedy presidency. I'm pretty sure Edward (Ted) did not go to either school. Not sure where he went.

      Delete
  2. Brothers: The Hidden History of the Kennedy Years sounds very interesting. I don't read much nonfiction so I don't know that I would get to it, but I know it would have lots of good information in it.

    Good luck on reorganizing your library. I bet you find a lot of books you want to read while doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy,
      I've already boxed and delivered 16 perfect hardcovers to my favorite library for their summer booksales (1 per month). Today I started another box. It can be wrenching at times.
      I also have a large library of Craft books. All my knitting books I'll hang on to, but the Quilting and Sewing books? I need a serious think about that!

      Delete
  3. I know how hard it is to get rid of craft books. I have a good number of crocheting books and I will keep some of those, but I have given up on knitting. I have a hard time getting rid of gardening books also, but how many times do I consult them anymore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do I ever know what you're talking about!
      Gardening was a passion in my 30s, 40s, and 50s. It ended there!! I have passed along many of my superb (!) gardening books, but there are more still to go. It's very, very hard to let go of a past passion, don't you think?
      Now I am a garden appreciator only!!

      Delete