In the High Peaks
















Sunday, July 9, 2023

A Catch-Up Post of Sorts--Though Not Really Possible!

I had such high hopes in early June that I'd have time for at least some reading this summer. And I have, though those moments for "some" reading have been very few. 

I am swamped with genealogical work, and I don't regret that, really, but I do need to actively and purposely plan time into the week for reading and relaxation. I have made the time for walking, though it's been a pretty lousy sport these days with tropical dewpoints in the 70s. I can't complain, though, given the severe, unrelenting heat confronting much of the country. 

Books I'm Loving:  I have so enjoyed Nancy Thayer's latest summer Nantucket novel, All the Days of Summer. I'm listening to it while I knit an incredible, multi-color  scarf of Italian wool. It's self-striping and wild-- and what's more important it's been relaxing, when I do manage to make myself take the time to listen and knit for 30-45 minutes in the late afternoons. I have only about two hours of listening to go, and I'm already sad to see it end. Heather, the main character, leaves her husband in her late 40s to spend a summer in a run-down cottage on Nantucket. She finds a new life, and because her son is marrying into Nantucket royalty, a new "family," of sorts. Reading this one has made me dream at night of renting a place on Nantucket for a month. An unattainable dream! I'd probably hate it; the island has been taken over by billionaires. Crowded! So, no! But the fantasy provided by this novel makes me dream it. You know, I do miss the ocean. Sigh.

I'm also reading Love and Ruin by Paula McLain, about Martha Gellhorn primarily, but also about her relationship with Ernest Hemingway. Gellhorn was a war correspondent in the Spanish Civil War, and the Russo-Finnish War of 1939, and afterwards... Set in Key West, Cuba, and in Europe, it's a great read, and frankly, very well done. Huge acclaim for this book, which made me read it. But frankly, Ernest Hemingway, in my book, was a loser as far as a man to have a relationship with!!  But that adds to the drama and conflict, doesn't it? 



 

 


9 comments:

  1. Judith - Even though you're swamped with work, these books both sound like lovely escapes. I've never read Nancy Thayer, but this title tempts me. I've enjoyed at least a couple of Paula McLain's novels, but have not heard of Love and Ruin! Would love to read more about Martha Gelhorn... and her relationship with Hemingway. I certainly agree that he was a loser of a man to have a relationship with, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn,
      I'm so interested to know you've read other novels by Paula McLain! I'll look into that!

      Delete
  2. Judith, it is always good to see a post here and catch up on how you are doing. I am glad to hear that the genealogical work is going well.

    I would like to read more (fiction) about Nantucket, I will have to check out both Nancy Thayer and Elin Hilderbrand. Not the kind of reading I usually do but it would be good to give them a try. I can look for some titles at the book sale in September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And don't forget the Merry Folger Nantucket series--actually police procedurals. I've read the first two--very good!

      Delete
  3. After reading A Moveable Feast in which Hemingway destroys his first marriage and the love of his life, I don't have the heart to read about the follow on romances and/or marriages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane,
      Wow--Do I ever understand that! I'm deep-sixing Hemingway for good. I've read several of his novels, but not A Moveable Feast. I don't want to read about him or anything by him again.

      Delete
  4. Yay glad you're back. You need a vaca by the Ocean. Go for Nantucket. I've only been to Martha's Vineyard twice many years ago. It was heaven by the water. I have read McLain's novels Circling the Sun and Love and Ruin, with wonderful iconic protagonists whom I simply wasn't going to miss. Both are good but their own books (Markham's & Gelhorn's) might even be better. And Yes, contending with Hemingway certainly adds to the drama. I have been to his grave in Idaho and he simply went mad by then, with many discarded women along the way. Enjoy your mountain paradise. & books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably won't be able to get to Nantucket this year. But next year, maybe! Anyway, still, I might be free of family medical issues by the middle of October, and I would love to go somewhere by the sea. Will have to sea :) Actually, I'd kill for three to four full days somewhere, anywhere that's in nature. Not far, mind you, but... Will think on it!
      How is your wildfire and summer heat situation?
      Thanks for suggesting Markham and Gelhorn's own work.

      Delete
  5. Hi Judith, Taking some time to catch up on my favorite blogs today. I must try the new Nancy Thayer book, Nantucket is such a lovely island --still. I prefer it to Martha's Vineyard.

    I've been updating my 2023 reads on the blog (lot's fewer than last year thus far) but, haven't felt like reviewing or blogging. I am keeping quite busy though with friends, lunches out and a new houseplant obsession. Take care and enjoy life.

    ReplyDelete