In the High Peaks
















Saturday, October 8, 2011

Arnaldur Indridason, Elizabeth Haynes, & UFOs

I vowed to write a proper book post because our internet is finally back, and here I am to declare that at least someone in our household is currently entranced by a book. Ken is reading the Icelandic author Arnaldur Indridason's third work of crime fiction, Silence of the Grave, published around 2002. We both enjoyed his first novel, Jar City, which I found to be strangely reminiscent of Ian Rankin's novels.

I'm still reading, a swallow at a time, Into the Darkest Corner by English writer Elizabeth Haynes. I'm not sure what it is about this novel--it's exceptionally well done--but for some obnoxious reason I have nightmares if I read too much of it in a single day. I'm nearing the end now, still taking sipping bits. How annoying that it's disturbing my sleep! I can usually read just about anything without any problems. I'm determined to finish it and no nightmare will stop me. For the purpose of generating some conversation on this blog, do you recall a book that gave you nightmares? Was there a book you had to stop reading because of nightmares?

The only movie that disturbed my daily functioning was Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho, which I saw for the first time while a freshman in college. I took sponge baths to avoid the dormitory showers for several weeks.

But, to be level-headed, here, the content of Into the Darkest Corner is not the least bit more difficult than many of the crime novels I read this summer, but I believe the way the first person point of view is handled is what makes me vulnerable to the novel.

During this time of book difficulty, I have dabbled in a little genealogy, which has been so fascinating, but frustrating as well. Enough said.

Then there is the controversial book Area 51: An Uncensored History of America's Top Secret Military Base by the Los Angeles Times investigative journalist Annie Jacobsen. What she uncovered are the most BIZARRE revelations I have ever heard or read. Please stay tuned because I would like to reveal the MOST UNBELIEVABLE, SUPPOSEDLY TRUE STUFF you have ever heard. We're talking UFOs here. We're talking Soviet/Nazi experiments turned into UFOs. Yeah, I know this sounds crazy, but one of the most reputable publishers in US publishing is behind it. What can I say?

1 comment:

  1. I have read both crime novels and enjoyed both. I know what you mean about Into the Darkest Corner, being very tension-inducing, I felt the same way. Another interesting aspect of the book for me was how I really did not like the protagonist at first as she seemed shallow and superficial, but I was bought round ;-).
    Arnaldur Indridason's books are very much to my taste and I agree with you that they are quiet classic. I find that much of the Nordic and other translated crime fiction I read is strong because it depends on a story, plot, atmosphere, characters etc, and not on the latest new tech, people taking over the world, explosions, etc.

    ReplyDelete