In the High Peaks
















Sunday, May 14, 2023

The Twenty Books of Summer: Are You In? I Do Hope So!

 I so loved the entire experience of The Twenty Books of Summer last year! It was Katrina, of Pining for the West, that hooked me into it, and a big thank you to her for a really fun 2022 Summer that I will never forget. So, indeed I am making a List!

You've no doubt noticed my absence here:

What's new and different with me: I went back to working, back to my professional genealogy practice, which is so far proving to be a full-time occupation. Right now I'm happy about this, but I wouldn't mind if it were a part-time practice. Much of the work is at home, but I recently spent 4 days on a research trip to the mid-Hudson River Valley researching court records from the early 1800s. This work is challenging, incredibly mentally stimulating, and I feel happy about it, and a bit sharper than I've felt in a long while. I tell my friends that I think retirement didn't like me, but I think it's much more that the pandemic flattened my spirit.

About my Twenty Books of Summer List: If my work continues as it's going now, there is no possible way I'll finish reading 20 books by September 1st, which I've decided is really Labor Day, September 4th.   BUT!  Take note! I'm going to make the list anyway, and I'll devour as much as I can. One of the benefits of summer reading. So many days are so DARN HOT that I find I can't exercise as much and thus end up reading more than at any other time of year. So here's hoping!  My list to come! Please do join me!

 


 

 

  


10 comments:

  1. I'll definitely be joining in again, I just haven't been organised this year as the time is going so fast! It's good to have a list of 20 then you have plenty to choose from. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katrina, I'm so happy you'll be part of it all this year. You are my inspiration! I'll look forward to hearing about everything you read.

      Delete
  2. I'll definitely be joining in this year again. I just haven't been organised as the year is going so fast. It's good to have 20 books to choose from, even if you have little hope of getting through them all. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am planning to do this too and have made a pile of books on a windowsill (I had to remove the other pile of books that was there, which was probably a good thing).

    Did you like I Must Betray You? I think she is a gifted writer but I like her other books much better than that one. I was going to urge you to come to Boston for an event she is doing but just checked and it is Wednesday and I have tickets to see Evita with a friend. And you would need more time to plan a trip, especially if you are working full time again.

    I also read Little Black Lies/Block because I accidentally put it on hold when trying to reserve Little Black Lies/Bolton in 2015! I liked the Bolton much better!

    Do you think there is renewed interest in genealogy due to all the DNA kits? Maybe that is why you are so busy?! We found a 2nd cousin in Lake Placid or Saranac Lake; I'd like my sister to go with me to meet her some time but instead we are going to the Shaw Festival at the end of June, then Toronto which should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so perturbed--I just wrote a very, very long reply to you and it has disappeared! I will try again soon !
      I'm so glad you're up for The Twenty Books of Summer!

      Delete
  4. So good to get news from you again. Wow, that must be a big change, going back to full-time working. It sounds interesting and rewarding and nice that you can do most of it at home.

    I look forward to your 20 Books of Summer list and hope you have time for some reading over the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy,
      Working has been a much, much bigger change than I anticipated. I have been very, very busy. I'm happy about it, but occasionally, just every now and then, it's been a bit nerve-wracking--but in an overall good way, I think.
      I just have to make some space in the week for reading--that's very calming. And, of course, I have to walk the dog at least one hour and 20 minutes a day!
      I hope I have more time to read your posts.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you've been very busy, Judith! I haven't officially joined reading challenges in a while, but will post some kind of summer reading plan in early June. And I look forward to seeing what you choose to read this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so busy--and I'm very satisfied with all of it, but I had no idea how busy it would get when I dove back in! Yikes! I'm happy when I can get a half hour to read in the afternoon these days. And I got that today--it's so very calming!
      I'm eager to hear what you hope to be reading this summer! I don't know why I'm saying this, but I'm actually looking forward to super-hot weather--that means we have to spend less time walking our super-pooch and I can squeeze in extra reading time!
      Enjoy!

      Delete
  6. Hi. So glad you're posting and that you're happy working again at your practice. It sounds like you travel a bit with it. Do you have various clients? I enjoy the Summer reading book lists. Fun to create and do. I will likely make a list of 10 Books for Summer, since like you I'm quite busy with life and the new house/farm. We are liking it a lot and wished we had done it many years earlier, alas. I'm glad you reminded us we need to do the list in time for June 1 -- which is coming so quickly. So I will start looking. keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete