In the High Peaks
















Friday, January 15, 2021

2020 An All-Time Reading Record for Me: Whither 2021?a

 I was positively flabbergasted that I read 76 books in 2020. I know why it happened, of course. Because every day by 1:30 pm-2pm, I was in my reading nook knitting to an audiobook or reading a hardcover or e-book. I tended to listen to an audiobook for part of the afternoon and then I read a book for the other part. It was how I survived 2020. I read some great, unforgettable books, for which I am so grateful. 

I'd love to spend some time highlighting the titles that really stood out among all the rest. But I'm one of those people who is always looking forward and going forward onto the NEXT THING. 



So, I'm glad to report that I have thoroughly connected with the new 2021 novel The Last Garden in England by Julia Kelly (Kelley?). This is a novel about an extraordinary garden: most particularly about a property in Warwickshire, from 1907 to the present, and its huge garden with many "rooms" and how it evolved, most especially through the lives and designs of many women! If you are crazy about English gardens and how they evolve through history, then I think you will love this novel. I am so thankful to have connected with it at a time when I have been having an impossible time connecting with any book whatsoever. I'm halfway through and am really enjoying it!

8 comments:

  1. That one sounds very interesting Judith. Have you read anything else by her? The Light Over London and Whispers of War sound good too. I can get those ones from the library, when they open again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katrina,
      No, I haven't read any of her other books and until this title, knew nothing about her. Glad to know about the other novels, thanks!

      Delete
  2. I'm so with you on moving on to the next thing, Judith. Plus, I really do find it difficult at the end of December to remember how much I loved a book I read back in January or February. It's a sad shame but there you go.

    The Last Garden sounds very me so I will look it up. If you want something in a similar vein, The Morville Hours by Katherine Swift is wonderful, although it's non-fiction not fiction. Gorgeous writing. I'm currently immersing myself in Middlsex by Jeffrey Eugenides and Krakatoa by Simon Winchester. I feel blessed because they're both wonderful. To be honest this month's reading has been excellent and we're only 2 weeks in!

    I hope you're doing ok with all the turmoil over there? Thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cath,
      How interesting that you're reading Middlesex. Another bookish friend recently suggested it for me, so will think about putting it on my list.
      I do think you might like the The Last Garden in England. And Krakatoa!! Interesting!
      Well, Cath, thanks so much for keeping us in your thoughts. It helps to know that. But let's just say we're still breathing over here--that's about all I can say. I am sick to death of all the turmoil and violence and hate and I do wish that each white supremacist moron would go do the world a favor and shoot himself in the foot or head and be done with it. Trump, too!

      Delete
  3. I just read a Q&A with her yesterday, coincidentally: https://www.thenerddaily.com/julia-kelly-author-interview/

    My mother gave me one of her books for Christmas which I have not read yet. Wouldn't it be nice to walk in one of those beautiful English gardens right now? It is pouring here but that is better than snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's nice that we got the snow, which we like and want more of, and you have the rain. Mild winter for us so far.
      Thank you so much for the link to the interview with Julia Kelly! I have never heard of her before I chanced upon The Last Garden in England. And, yes, a hundred times yes! I so want to tour dozens of English gardens. The past three years I have purchased a wonderful wall calendar for the space beside my reading nook. It's called "The Secret Garden Wall Calendar" and it includes many photo shots of English gardens, although some German and Canadian as well. I purchase it each year right after Christmas and it's then 50 percent off. Just love gazing at it! And I do seriously hope to plan an English garden tour for 2022 or so.

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of rooms in a garden. There is an old conservatory, open to the public in downtown Toronto (in nonCOVID times) and it definitely has that feel to it too.

    This past year was a massive reading year for me too. So many more reasons to read...how fortunate are we, to have that escape, retreat and consolation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. What a solace literature was to all of us in the past year--so important to note that. Thank you.

      Delete