In the High Peaks
















Saturday, October 24, 2020

My Reading While Coping with Insanity

There is no doubt that I may be going mad.

Well, who isn't these days, with all the craziness going on? I know my brain has been hit hard, and I apologize if I haven't visited your blog recently. I hope to catch up with you soon!

Yesterday I finished Eight Perfect Murders by Peter Swanson, published early this year, and which received starred reviews from Publishers Weekly and Library Journal. Have you read it? I appreciated its originality, most of all. In the first two short chapters, the narrator introduces himself and relates that he once published a blogpost for his bookstore, which described, as he sees it, eight perfect murders in crime fiction. And the tale explodes! (literally) from there. My suggestion to anyone interested in this premise: Download the sample onto your Kindle or Nook or other e-reader. A sample will include the intro and the titles and descriptions of the eight novels in case you wish to read any before you tackle the novel. You don't NEED to do this to enjoy the novel. It's a quick read, by the way. Entertaining, though a bit creepy as more and more unfolds, especially at the end, but I really enjoyed it.  The setting is Boston and environs, and spreads out over New England in WINTER. That part was loads of fun.

I am reading Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout, and am nearing the end. It's not a comfort read, but it is so true and real that it makes up for its lack of what we usually think of as "comfort." I do recommend it. A Pulitzer Prize winner, by the way. If you are feeling very, very shaky, then don't cross it off your list, but postpone it. The writing is brilliant.

I just started reading Rodham by Curtis Sittenfeld this morning, an imagination of what Hillary Rodham's life might have been like if she had decided not to marry her friend Bill Clinton. It's so good!! I'm really loving it. Sittenfeld makes Hillary Rodham come to life, and so identifiable, at least to me. I'm so glad a friend urged me to read it.

Still listening to The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court. Lots more to go!

 

 

8 comments:

  1. I hope things will calm down for you soon. I am interested in reading Olive Kitteredge sometime, although I don't know much about it. Maybe Rodham, I am not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, Tracy! I didn't realize I hadn't responded to your comment. I'm sorry.
      As far as pleasure and enjoyment goes, I'd recommend Rodham, for sure.
      And Olive Kitteridge is well worth reading, and is an excellent work, but it brought up all kinds of emotions.

      Delete
  2. I like the sound of Eight Perfect Murders but must admit that I really disliked Olive Kitteridge - the character and the book - it's just as well we're all different I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katrina,
      I thought I responded to your comment!! So sorry...
      I can totally understand anyone disliking Olive Kitteridge. First of all, she's not a likable character. Secondly, the stories bring up really difficult situations and emotions. I ended up being glad I read it and experienced it, but I would never recommend it as a comfort read, that's for sure!

      Delete
  3. Judith, I loved the audio of Eight Perfect Murders. I've since read at least 3 of the perfect murder books mentioned and downloaded most of the others. As for Olive K. (read it when it was first published and again after reading the sequel, Olive, Again - which I adored as well. Have you watched Olive Kitteridge the miniseries - so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane,
      So interesting to hear you loved the audio of Eight Perfect Murders. I loved reading the book. I had trouble putting it down. I'm glad to hear you liked Olive, Again. And I haven't watched the miniseries. I often find watching the film of a book like this to be a jarring experience, so I don't think I will. Reading Olive wasn't easy for me.

      Delete
  4. I knew there were a lot of tourists in your neighborhood! https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/adirondacks-hiking-upstate-new-york/2020/10/29/3d07c62e-13df-11eb-ad6f-36c93e6e94fb_story.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, we get lots of tourists, and I will say, especially so this year. Not always welcome in this Covid-19 era.

      Delete