In the High Peaks
















Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Mid-December Revelations

No matter what I do, my energy is at its lowest ebb in December, and especially so in the last half  of December. We see very little sun at this time of year (I think we had a sunny day last Saturday!) Our snowiness and cloudiness are mostly due to the lake-effect clouds and snow that blow east and southeast off Lake Ontario. January is a much sunnier month here, and always, with it, my mood and energy rise up. 

BUT! I must say I dearly love November and December for these reasons. It's as if I am a plant and I need this period of dormancy to do absolutely nothing of any consequence. Oh, yes--I play the piano, I tramp widely with Sandy, I read, I knit, I cook, but don't bother me with serious problems that need attending to. Don't bother me with cleaning or renovation or business efforts. None of that! I'm just beginning to totally accept that I am not a ball of fire in December. What a relief it is to accept that and to know that when January rolls around, I will be rising up again, as I always, always do.

Books! I have several going at the moment. One is A Merry Murder (2019), a cozy Edwardian mystery by Kate Kingsbury. It received good reviews, but for me the writing is just sort of okay. I will finish it, I think--only 210 pages. It's amusing by turns, I suppose. Don't go out of your way. But do let me know if you've read others by this author.

Now here's a Christmas title well worth going out of your way to read!!!  I'm reading again a Christmas mystery that I thought was top-notch. The Twelve Clues of Christmas by Rhys Bowen. This one is so much fun, so clever, don't miss it!


I'm also reading The Pushkin Hills by Sergei Dolatov, translated from the Russian by his wife Katherine Dolatov. The link will indicate better than I can what it is about. I'm finding it very humorous--it's a short novel as well, published by Counterpoint Press, an indie press.



8 comments:

  1. I guess when I think about it, January does seem like it is sunnier then November and December.

    You are reading an interesting mix of books. I might give Pushkin Hills a try in the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian,
      I really enjoy reading European lit in translation, and I haven't read much this year. I'd love to be a member of a reading group that focused on this. Maybe I might find something online?
      Weatherwise, I was mostly referring to the Adirondacks. Boston has many more sunny November days on average. December can be dismal throughout the northeast, though.

      Delete
  2. I wish I could remain dormant in December. Every morning it is so very tempting to not go into work. But you know, mortgage payments etc.

    I do have time off work coming up, however, and am looking forward to getting some reading done between December 23 and December 31. Right now I am reading Mary Toft; or, the Rabbit Queen by Dexter Palmer and I have Inland by Tea Obrecht out from the library as well but have only read the first two pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruthiella,
      How wonderful to have time off from Christmastime to New Year's Eve. Indulge heartily and inform us all of what you've read!
      I don't know Mary Toft (will look her up) and I'll search out the other two titles as well.

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean about November and December. Our normal thing is to hibernate during those months but this year we had two trips away in November and December has been busy at home. I'm looking to January to be a bit quieter with a few less problems...

    That's an interesting mix of books you're reading, are you out of your reading slump then? I must try something by Rhys Bowen. I'm reading The Mistletoe Murder and other stories by P.D. James, In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson (1930s Germany) and a gorgeous book about a garden in Shropshire, The Morville Hours by Katherine Swift. Not sure how much more time I shall have to read before Christmas but so far so good.

    Love your new header pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cath,
      I just ordered The Morville Hours from our library system--they actually have a copy available! How I love memoirs, stories, books about gardens! Thank you for mentioning it.
      The Twelve Clues of Christmas is the best Rhys Bowen book I've read, if that helps.
      I hope your January will be free and clear so you can really chomp! into your books.
      I'm not sure I'm totally out of the slump. You know, I spend so much time exercising our beloved Sandy. It's good for me physically, I suppose, but I've tried to write everyday, and I must read everyday, but reading has suffered. And I am placing a higher priority on it, because everyone says if you write fiction, you must be reading it at the same time! Not to mention the fact that I love, love nonfiction. Not enough hours in the day, clearly.
      I'm glad you like the header photo. It doesn't fit the space allotted, but I love the photo of Ken "on the trail."

      Delete
  4. Judith, I hope you love The Morville Hours as much as I do. It's my bedtime read and thus will take me a while to read, but that's ok, I'm going for a more relaxed approach to reading next year.

    Good luck with your writing schedule. Yes, Stephen King in his book, On Writing, stressed how necessary it is for writers to read, read, read. But, as you say, there are only 24 hours to every day and you have to sleep... and walk your lovely dog. I hope you manage to find a balance.

    Merry Christmas to you and Ken. My family arrive on Christmas Eve and are staying until Saturday so I shall be pretty scarce around here for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cath,
      How nice to take a slightly different reading tack in the new year. I'm currently working on plans to take a different approach to things in the new year as well. I've been journaling and journaling about it during the past week, in the hopes, as you say so well, to find a balance. That's the point that crucial to work towards.
      I'm so glad you'll have your family with you you for several days! How nice! Hand off chores to everyone, is my advice! And most of all, enjoy! Especially your grands.

      Delete