In the High Peaks
















Thursday, September 12, 2019

A Brief Update before Lake Placid/Saranac Lake Photos

I thoroughly enjoyed a trip to Lake Placid earlier this week. Lake Placid in the summer is horrendously overcrowded. Why ever do people go there? So I went Monday, the week after Labor Day, and the area was still extremely busy, loads of people, but I was able to get a great off-season, mid-week rate on a great hotel, and had a lot of fun.

In my next post, I'll share a few photos and stories of my travels. I especially enjoyed my visit to Saranac Lake, 11 miles to the west of Lake Placid. Saranac Lake is one of the most historic towns in the Adirondacks,  because in the late 19th century and the early 20th century it was a world-renown center for the treatment of tuberculosis. I walked all over SL photographing the Victorian houses that boarded tubercular patients. The entire history is fascinating. I will post some of the most illustrative photos. I walked so many miles! And Saranac Lake is so hilly, I went up and down, up and down over and over, photographing houses.  Need to research this all some more.

6 comments:

  1. We try to visit a few tourist resorts in Sept and October as well while the weather is still gorgeous here in New England. Can't wait to see your pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane,
      What are your favorite September-October New England spots to vacation? We've done Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Portsmouth (NH), Monhegan Island in Maine, Boothbay Harbor in Maine, the islands in Casco Bay in Maine... Is there a place we've missed? Best wishes!

      Delete
  2. I have been to both Lake Placid and Lake Saranac but it has been a long time. Overcrowding tourism can be unbearable. We have a similar situation here on Eastern Long Island. Visiting these areas off season is a neat thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian,
      You must love it when summer turns to September; that is, if you find the time to enjoy. I know your work keeps you really busy? Planning any time off soon?

      Delete
  3. We were in LP last week, too! We drove up on Friday and came back this past Monday... our oldest daughter competed in the half iron triathlon last Sunday. We drove through Saranac Lake. Wonder if our time overlapped??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, JoAnn!
      I ran into lots of people who were relaxing after that half iron. They all looked so fit and trim! How exciting for you that your daughter participated. I heard from lots of people that the swim early Sunday??? morning was hard for lots of the guys competing. From what I heard, women, with their extra layer of subcutaneous fat weathered it a bit better. But how interesting!! I arrived mid-morning Monday, but perhaps we overlapped by a bit. Gorgeous day Monday!

      Delete