In the High Peaks
















Sunday, April 8, 2018

New Books, April Icicles, & Snow, Snow, Snow

If you wish, do skip the winter weather talk in the first two paragraphs.

Winter is holding on tight--its talons deeply entrenched. We've had really wintry weather--temperatures down to the teens at night and daytime temps in the high 20s. Wild winds as well, causing many to lose power. (We lost power but have a wonderful generator--no complaints.)

Friday night the snow was coming down so hard that I could barely see 20 feet in front of the car, and wouldn't you know, everyone flocked into North Creek to the restaurants, storm or no storm. (Our book group went on as usual.)
This Sunday afternoon we walked, pelleted by graupel, that icy, frozen precipitation that starts in the clouds as snow and is tossed around in the atmosphere until it is deeply frozen, hard, and stark white.
I don't mind any of this. Over the years. time has shown that spring does not arrive until May. The first half of April is nasty, one way or another, and why not have it frozen with snow rather than with heavy rains and mud?

The first meeting of our European Travelers Book Group met to discuss Snow-Blind by the Icelandic author Ragnald Jonasson, a police/mystery procedural that takes place in the northernmost region of Iceland, in Siglufjordur, a town situated on a fjord that has a gigantic mountain overlooking the town. This town is close to the Arctic Circle.

I first learned of Snow-Blind from Cath who keeps the blog readwarbler. I was not disappointed. Everyone in our group enjoyed the novel, especially the atmospheric setting  and the main characters and their relationships. I'm so interested in the young Ari Thor's character, that I can't wait for the second book to appear in the U.S., which is  due to be published in October later this year. Too long to wait! It's interesting that later books in the series have already been published here, but I'd rather read them in order, to see the development of Ari's character, who is a troubled, young soul.

I've almost finished How It All Began by Penelope Lively. I heartily recommend this latest book  of hers, or perhaps her last book, most likely, published in 2011. It is a tour de force about how changes in age and the life cycle affect us all, profoundly. I have loved it. So well done.

I have so many other books that I'm dying to read, and I'm working now. I like working, but I do NOT like NOT having hours and hours to read each week. Phooey!

Books on my Wishlist:
The Female Persuasion by Meg Wolitzer  (2018)
The Prague Sonata by Bradford Morrow  (515 pp.)
The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
Loads of Russian novels.  I will need to list these in another post.
So many books I'm thirsty to read!




4 comments:

  1. Glad your book group enjoyed Snow Blind. I'm rather confused about which is the next book. Apparently it's Nightblind but it takes place 5 years after Snow Blind. Then I think he wrote a couple of books that take place between the two. How confusing is that? I have Night Blind on my library pile and Black Out and I'm really not sure which to read next. Anyway, I love the sound of your European Travellers book group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cath,
      Yes, thanks to you, we had a most enjoyable tour to Siglufjordur. Nightblind is not the next book, as you have already guessed. Someone figured out by fiddling with his IPhone which is the next title chronologically in the series, but I don't know the name of it. When I do find it out, I'll let you know.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Judith, I appreciate it as I'm really keen to return to Siglufjordur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath,
      I'm still befuddled as to the next sequential title in the series. The five of us have been trying to figure it out, but it has not been easy. If and when I find out, I'll let you know, because I want to read the next title in order. Best,Judith

      Delete