In the High Peaks
















Thursday, November 23, 2017

I Do Hope I'm Back! At Least That's My Intention

My sincerest apologies to everyone for disappearing these last two and a half months without notice.

What happened:
In mid-September my literary self went AWOL and so far has not been found.

Oh, yes, I'm still reading as much as ever, but without my literary self as director,  I've succumbed to
reading mostly light-weight stuff--romances, light crime with happy endings, and celebrity memoir, with just a few exceptions. If you examine my "Books Read in 2017" sidebar, you will see what I'm talking about. I must say that I've read a number of light reads and romances that have been satisfying. More about that in another post.

I recently finished one of my exceptions, a history/crime combo entitled Death in the Air: The True Story of a Serial Killer, the Great London Smog, and the Strangling of a City by Kate Dawson Winkler, which was published in early November. Winkler is a journalist, and this book is what I'd  call a popular history. It does lay down the facts of the circumstances, causes, and impact of the London Smog of December 1952, but not with great authority. The serial killer aspect is interesting--only three of Christie's victims were murdered during the Great Smog. The rest of his history is also included. I found it very interesting and worth reading.


8 comments:

  1. I hope you are back too. I don't read romances per se, but I am reading Jane Austen books right now, which are romances (and loving the romance part) and the Patricia Wentworth book I just finished had two romances (which I enjoyed), so I don't think you need to worry about taking some time to read romances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy,
      Thanks so much for your thoughts!
      I have vowed to finish Mansfield Park before the end of the year. On other Austen notes, Ken and I have watched Sense and Sensibility once again (1995) and Pride and Prejudice, the multi-episode BBC production w. Colin Firth. We enjoyed both tremendously, although that P&P production I could easily watch once yearly.
      I will go back and read your reviews of others of Austen's.
      And so good--I'm glad I'm not alone in wanting romances in this darkest of years!

      Delete
  2. It's good to see you, Judith! I've had a hard time sticking with literary fiction lately and have been reading a lot of nonfiction lately, though nothing too heavy. Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JoAnn!
      I've so missed being in touch with what you've been reading. I've noticed that quite a few people (local friends and blogging friends) have made alterations to their reading as well as tv and movie viewing during this past year.
      I, too, have been drawn to nonfiction.
      And, thank you, yes, I had a very happy Thanksgiving with friends--We went out to a lovely mountain lodge and it was relaxing and fun.

      Delete
  3. It's great to see you back Judith, I love your new photo. We had our first smattering of snow yesterday. It's only light reading that's keeping me going this awful year - what with the craziness of Brexit and your new p.
    too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Katrina, if you only knew how I've missed you and your thoughts and blog! This has been the most dismal, discouraging, and (let's say it like it is) depressing year with POTUS.

      I really need to remind myself that staying in touch with my book-leaning, politically sympatico friends is so very important to me.

      Delete
  4. We have to read what works for us at any given time--I go through spells when I want deep, literary books, and times when I want to escape to a happy world where things work out right!

    The Smog book sounds so interesting--I've been meaning to read up on it in general since learning about it from The Crown, and this aspect (the serial killer) is yet another twist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jane--I, too, first learned of it by watching The Crown, so I was very interested to learn so much more about it and about British politics and why things sometimes don't improve. Sounds familiar!

      Delete