In the High Peaks
















Wednesday, March 29, 2017

A Brief Post: Whither Books? And Missing, Presumed

It is still wintry here, for which I am glad. I missed much of it in February, so March has given me a chance to catch up. Sasha and I have had some stellar snowshoe excursions. Not super-long ones, perhaps, but really fun.

My reading stalled at times this past month. I read over half of the Margaret Drabble novel Deep Flood Rises. It must go back to the library, because I have yet to finish it. I'm planning on buying my own copy in the immediate future. It is so good, and I feel as though as I want to start at page one and do it all over.

Most recently I've been reading Missing, Presumed by Sheila Steiner. It's an exciting police procedural set in Cambridgeshire. A very young ecological activist, Ellen Hind, goes missing--a woman whose father is a politically influential doctor. He has close friends who are tops in the British government. (Characterizations are a big plus here!) Manon, the primary investigator  interest in the novel is single, coming on forty too fast for her liking, and longing for a settled love relationship. This definitely adds lots of interest.  I'm just over halfway. I ordered it thru ILL because it had such good reviews, and I haven't been disappointed.

So what has made my reading collapse?
I am now full throttle in my political activism. I promised to myself that I would become politically active after November's election results. No, unfortunately, marching on Washington is beyond me at this point. So I've been concentrating my efforts, at least in part, on the Republican congresswoman in our district, Elise Stefanik, who is considered a moderate Republican. At age 32, she's just beginning her second term  in the House of Representatives. She is a hard worker, to her credit. But, as any junior member of Congress, she lacks direction and certitude. I'm hoping that other women members of Congress are mentoring her. Anyway,  I write a detailed letter to her on a timely topic, relating to upcoming legislations, that I've thoroughly researched once a week. I write many other letters, encouraging our New York State Senators, and to others on current topics in the legislature.

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on taking action: it's hard to keep moving when it feels like change is out of reach, but it's important for us to remember to use our voices and be heard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're so right on how hard it is to keep putting one step in front of the other in these times. But we've got to do something. The issues are so crucial to the future of the world. Thanks!
      Judith

      Delete
  2. Your comments on Missing, Presumed intrigue me. I was not sure I would be interested, but maybe so. I like police procedurals.

    And good for you for being politically active.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy,
      I'd be very interested to know what you think of this one. I believe she's expecting to write more with this detective and police crew. It has held my interest, certainly.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and Tracy, thanks for the encouragement on the activism. It helps to spread the word. And for me, so much better than feeling powerless.

      Delete
  3. I really like your approach to activism--seems very innovative and potentially very effective. I hope so anyway. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane,
      Thanks so much for the encouragement. It's very difficult because there is so much to be done at this crucial moment. I guess one could say I'm choosing my battles, although "warrior" terminology is not my preference. I haven't had to engage while Obama was president, but now I need to be in full throttle, and it's quite a change. Books are for solace. Thanks for responding.

      Delete
  4. I have Dark Flood Rising here from library and need to begin it soon. My reading has slowed since the election as well and, I really applaud your activism efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane,
      I really need to get back to Dark Flood Rising. I had a library copy, but it's one I really very much want to purchase. And as far as politics go, I just wish I didn't need to worry so much!

      Delete
  5. I liked Missing, Presumed, and yes, the writer is continuing to write about her protagonist.

    About activism, I am an activist at heart. It just perks me right up to be with like-minded people and rally together. I went to May Day in my city, the first protest in a very long time and I felt great being out in the sun and even on the grass.
    But since I have health problems, I paid for my good day all week.

    Actually, telephone activism is supposedly very effective. So, keep doing that. And while you're at it, pressure your representative to vote for medical research funding for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome at the NIH.

    ReplyDelete