In the High Peaks
















Saturday, December 10, 2016

Elin Hilderbrand's "Winter Trilogy"

Every few years or so, during the summer, I get a hankering for an Elin Hilderbrand Nantucket Island  novel, always set in the height of the summer season on this extraordinary island off the southeastern coast of Massachusetts in Long Island Sound, which has wonderfully warm swimming waters in summertime. (Unlike Massachusetts and New England beaches exposed to the frigid Atlantic waters.

But when Hilderbrand conceived of an extended family, the Quinn Family of multi-generations,  a family-run Nantucket inn, and three books about Christmastime on this one-of-a-kind New England island, I was all over it.

 The first novel Winter Street introduces the clan and simply swept me up in gaiety, laughter, and understanding. The reader is immediately engrossed in a whirlwind of not-always-congenial family relationships mixed with loads of loving relationships, and fascinating Christmas revelry. I read Winter Street from one afternoon until the next noontime. The second novel, Winter Stroll,  continues the Quinn Family saga. I read this one in a day and a half, and when I learned that the final volume in the trilogy would feature a blizzard and be issued this October 2016, I purchased Winter Storms. Well, I love the Quinn Family. They are riotous fun, and, although I have NOT read Winter Storms yet, mind you, I am mourning the trilogy coming to an end. If I thought I had the power to persuade Hilderbrand to continue the Quinn saga and their Christmas revelries, I would. 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like perfect seasonal reading. I just put a hold on the library ebook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're feeling better now Judith. Thanks for mentioning this author as I've never read any but have just discovered that my library has a lot of Hilderbrand's books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This trilogy sounds wonderful--love the setting and I'm always up for a good family saga, and this one sounds fun and not angsty at all. Will look for Winter Street to get started on.

    ReplyDelete