In the High Peaks
















Monday, February 29, 2016

Quick Notes on Great! Books!

On Friday or Saturday I finished Where My Heart Used to Beat, Sebastian Faulks's latest book. It was superb, in my estimation. It's such a relief to read about a mature man reflecting back on his life, even though parts of it were obscure to him due to life's traumas. I heartily recommend this book--I found I related so easily to Robert, the protagonist. Delicious locations, and truly heartfelt. Unfortunately, I cannot wax on with description. Robert is the son of a soldier who was killed in World War I, and he is nearly killed in World War II but survives. He becomes a doctor, then a psychiatrist after the war--and there is much here that is about lifetime memories. I found it not depressing at all even thought it had its sadnesses. I felt uplifted that a mature writer was able to write about characters that were at a stage where they could reflect honestly about their lives and their choices. Not to be missed!

I am now reading Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee for The Classics Club. I'm more than a third of the way through so far. More on this one later.

And I am so thoroughly enjoying [read loving!] Girl through Glass by Sari Wilson, which was released in late January. Mira is a "bunhead." She lives in Brooklyn, and later Manhattan, and at the ripe old ages of 11-14 is one of the most promising pre-pubescent ballerinas at the SAB. (I think this is Balanchine's School of American Ballet) in Manhattan. She rises, and rises through the ranks despite the fact that her parents have divorced and she is now living with her father and a caring stepmother. Despite the loss of her mother and the other supports in her life, she has an important, secret relationship with an older, nearly elderly man, Maurice, who loves her beauty and encourages her to catapult herself deeper into ballet. This story of the young Mira and the mature dance theory professor Kate (who is the actual Mira transformed by time and events) make for a captivating, incredibly well-written debut by Wilson. Another great read!!! I'm almost at the end and I'm lamenting every page I turn now.

6 comments:

  1. Where My Heart Used to Beat sounds wonderful! Adding to my list...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, JoAnn,
      Yes, I do think you'll find a lot in this novel to satisfy your appetite.
      Knowing your blog and the books you like as I do, I think you would also find Girl through Glass stimulating and provocative. An excellent read!
      Judith

      Delete
  2. I love the sound of the Faulk's book. It's on my way too lengthy TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane,
      I'm sorry I missed your comment these past few days. Don't know how I did that.
      I am fairly certain that you will much to admire in Sebastain Faulks's book, based on what I've learned about your reading choices from your blog.

      Delete
  3. I was really nervous about reading Go Set a Watchman but I ended up really enjoying it, I hope you do too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katrina,
      I'm so glad you liked Go Set a Watchman, too. I did thoroughly enjoy it, and it's the kind of book, with all these interesting conversations going on, that I'll enjoy picking up again.

      Delete