In the High Peaks
















Monday, September 16, 2013

What Fun! Georgia O'Keeffe & Reading A is for Alibi: Grafton in the '80s


Yesterday I managed to make it, at long last, to the final day of an exquisite exhibition of Georgia O'Keeffe's early work--paintings she created while spending the non-frigid seasons in a shanty on Lake George in the southern Adirondacks with Stieglitz, with works dating from around 1918-1926 or so. The Hyde Collection in Glens Falls, New York, went all out for this exhibition, gathering her paintings from many small and large museums from all over the U.S! I was so impressed with the effort, but even more impressed by her Lake George work. Of course, being a nature nut, I loved her paintings of leaves and trees most. They inspire me to joy! Naturally, I bought the exhibition book published by Thames & Hudson. I'm thrilled beyond words with it. Well, you see, I love to paint and draw leaves and trees, and seeing this work collected was just the artistic boost I needed for the autumn season.

By the time we got home, we had eaten dinner, and because Ken had to work, I dug into Sue Grafton's A is for Alibi, which I bought for $2.99 for my Nook. (Please see my previous blog entry for links.) Three hours later, I was still reading. I really like Kinsey, the female private detective, and I admire Grafton's descriptions that allow me to picture every detail in a scene. The 1980s details were lots of fun...Remember teak furniture? And the clothing! Men's and women's hairstyles! Shag rugs! Just the overall culture. I highly recommend this book, and I was swept away. Right now Kinsey and I are in Las Vegas investigating a potential suspect. Can't wait to get back to it. Do check her out if you like no-nonsense heroines and storytelling and FUN.

6 comments:

  1. I am envious of being able to see Georgie O'Keefe's paintings. She was a stunning artist. Happy you are enjoying Sue Grafton's work. I like a light hearted mystery and she is good at the descriptions. Continue to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, your headline really grabbed me this morning. O'Keefe and Kinsey Milhoune (spelling?). I used to listed to Kathy Bates narrations of Sue Grafton's books on cassettes, back in the 1980's. I always enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That teak furniture is all the rage with the youngsters now - and flokati rugs. Wait long enough and it all comes back! I'm off to look up Georgie O'Keefe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am quite familiar with George O'Keeffe's paintings, the desert, southwestern mountains, flowers, but not of the Adirondacks region. I must google search for them.

    Ah, yes, enjoy spending time and relaxing with Kinsey Milhone. That is one thing I can say -- that when I've wanted to escape, be distracted and de-stress, one book series I could always be sure of is Sue Grafton's.

    And you have so many more weekends to read her alphabetical series, now up through "W," and by the time you get there, more books will be published.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm now reading Cuckoo's Calling, the mystery by Richard Galbraith/J.K. Rowling. It's very well-written, but a bit plodding for crime fiction. It's written more like a non-mystery novel. There's no suspense, nor do chapter endings tantalize the reader.

    But it's a well-done book, and I'll keep going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy,
      I'm so interested to hear your thoughts about Cuckoo's Calling. What have been your final thoughts about it?
      Judith

      Delete