In the High Peaks
















Thursday, February 16, 2012

Broken Leg! Are Greater Reading Times Ahead?

Yes, I'm devastated to say that I broke my leg, or, to be more specific, my tibeal plateau was broken at 8am this morning. Sasha was so exuberant today. She knew it was not a school day for me, but an adventure day, when we would take off into the woods for an excellent bushwhack.

She joyously barrelled toward me at what seemed like 90 mph--55 pounds of muscle and bone! Usually she averts me at the right moment, but I felt fear as she approached me. It seemed to me that she was cutting it too close. I meant to take a step to the right to steer clear of her, and somehow or other I shifted slightly to the left. COLLISION!

Remarkably, she was unhurt, but I howled in agony and sank to the ground. After a time I managed to walk home, but I knew the pain I felt was like nothing I'd ever felt before. I feared I had broken something.

The verdict: I can't put weight on my left foot or leg for 12 weeks! Much longer than an ordinary break of the tibia.

A test for my resourcefulness and patience.

Books will be prominent in the coming weeks, I wager!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your leg. 12 weeks is an awful long time. I hope, at least, that you have plenty of great books to make the time fly by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor you. So sorry to hear it. I wish you a quick recovery and some great books to ease the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch! It might be hard to read at first, but after a while there will be lots of quality reading time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry to hear that I wish you a speedy recovery Judith and hope you get to read some books ,all the best stu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judith, what a terrible thing to happen. I hope the pain isn't too bad now and that all the books you will be reading will take your mind off it. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katrina, Stu, Caroline, Megan, and Marg!
    I am so thankful for your sympathy and good wishes. They have raised my spirits. Not only will this misfortune give me more reading time, but also more time to visit your blogs!

    Happy weekend,
    Judith

    ReplyDelete