In the High Peaks
















Thursday, January 24, 2019

My 2019 TBR Pile Challenge Books--Still Time to Sign Up

Alex, the host of the 2019 TBR Challenge Pile for 2019, resides at Roofbeam Reader (see sidebar) .

Alex has kindly extended the sign-up period for the 2019 Challenge until January 31st, if anyone has not yet signed up for a TBR challenge but would like to.
I plan to read 12 TBR books from my shelves and from my Nook, purchased no later than December 31, 2017. Yes, that's right--books purchased in 2018 do not count for this challenge.
In my list of books, you'll notice the overlap with my list for Karen's Back to the Classics Challenge (BCC), which is perfectly legal, by the way, for both challenges.
I've had a number of classics languishing on my bookshelves for years, and this is the year I'm going to look forward to reading them. Yahoo!

1. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (BCC)

2. A Small Town in Germany by John Le Carre  (read early Feb. 2019)

3. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (BCC)  (read Jan. 2019)

4. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (BCC)

5. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (I started this last year or the year before, but I need to start all over again. With Austen novels, rereading is pure pleasure and certainly no hardship.) (BCC)

6. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (BCC)

7. A Shroud for a Nightingale by P.D.  James

8. Snow by Orhan Pamuk  (BCC)

9.  O is for Outcast by Sue Grafton (read Jan. 2019)

10.  The Dark Flood Rises by Margaret Drabble  (Started reading in 2017, but was distracted by those darn library holds, and I need to start over at the beginning, which will not be a hardship because I loved the bit that I read.)

11. Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper (BCC)
(This one I started years ago, but left it and did not go back due to library book distraction.)

12. Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole (BCC)

Two Alternates: 
Vanity Fair Diaries by Tina Brown
and
The London Train by Tessa Hadley   (read March 2019)
(I've had this on my Nook for years and purchased it after I read Hadley's book The Past, which I loved.  It's interesting that I love The Past even more a number of years after reading it. I will never forget the house in the country that the characters shared. It had its own personality. I have a sort of nostalgia for it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment